Tuesday 9 February 2010

The Audacity of Youth

Everyone knows how fond I am of the students I teach. I still maintain contact with students I taught many moons ago and I still enjoy them calling me, telling me about their progress:
"I'm working now Miss".
"I'm engaged Miss".
"I've got my own place now Miss."
"I got into Uni Miss"(That's one of my favourites!)
They tell me as they know the encouragement will still be forthcoming although they have long left my care.
Also, I live in the same area that my old college is in so it is nothing unusual to bump into any one of them, so I wasn't at all surprised that once again I bump into-let's call him Adrian. I taught 'Adrain' in 2001 or thereabouts.
We stand and chat for awhile. He's called me on occasion just like the others. I even opened an email account for him a while back. He called me for the password and account details once and I remember texting back saying- "I can't bleeding remember!" Oh yes. It's all coming back now...         But I didn't remember any of that yesterday. We discuss the February snow, working, not working, and it's a quick chat as I've left my gloves at home and right now he doesn't look like he owns a pair.
             Later that evening, I'm sat up in bed practicing going to bed early as I start a new job next week, when I receive a text. In fact I receive several texts. From 'Adrian'. Here's how our text conversation went:

Hi Miss. What you doing this weekend. Want to go pictures?
           Thanx, but I can't. Plus I wouldn't go out with anyone that calls me "Miss".
Is that the reason or can there be a next time arr babyy
           When we speak do I come across as though I want/need a young ting calling me baby?
Well, no not really
           So why would you? I was your teacher for God's sake.
Hi there Miss. Sorry ya like u say back then. man shit u did look good and still even today ms. take it as a compliment. sorry
          Take what as a compliment?
Hi Ms. I think I need to shut up
           Yes Goodnight
and he had the cheek to reply:- Don't let the bed bugs bite. I shook my head and just laughed.

I wouldn't mind but his spelling and sentence structure are absolutely atrocious!! I spent a whole year teaching him literacy! What a dam waste!   But seriously. I can only put it down to the audacity of youth. And some of them really are.
When I see him next time I'll do what I used to do with the new cohort of students who come with reports and statements and history.
I'll wipe the slate clean!

2 comments:

  1. Surely being perved on by a young ting did your heart some good, Martha, even if he is a cheeky bugger who can't spell??

    More to the point, why are you practicing going to bed early?

    And a writerly question: do you think using text-ese embedded in a story is the modern equivalent of the epistolary novel?

    a good read, M, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey M,

    Practicing going to bed as I had a 6am start later on in the week- and am not great at early to bed, early to rise- maybe i should explain that in the text.

    I want APPROPRIATE attention out here! Am still single! The young tings perving are no help at all! Tho he's not over young as I taught him 10 years ago- but still...

    And on a writery note- i do recon text-ese could in fact be the new epistolary novel! Could be really interesting.
    Thanks for the feedback M. Mx

    ReplyDelete