Sunday 24 January 2010

the video

My good friend's daughter just recently had a baby girl. Gorgeous little thing she is- both of them actually; Sweet smelling, petit and soft. We were invited to watch a video of the baby's birth as we'd heard she was a real trooper, so now we had the chance to see for ourselves.
       "But so soon Teesh?" I inquired. "Aren't you still on fire?" I know I was squeezing, squashing and folding my legs tight  for at least a month after my last big headed baby was born. I couldn't imagine watching what I went through, much less watching it three days later!!

        "I've seen it before," she said, "but I like to know what happened".  Uncle Maurice promptly said his goodbyes and though I joined in the protest I could understand why he didn't want to see his niece in action. He kissed her, the new baby and the rest of us and was gone. 
        So there we were, three days after the birth watching the miracle as it happened- as Saturday night entertainment.

       It would have been near impossible for the proud new father to tape the whole thing as it was a twenty-four labour: from 6am Tuesday morning to6.45am Wednesday morning. "But I got the best forty minutes or so," he warned.
       "I looked awful," Teesh said viewing the events of 20.01.2010. She didn't tho'. Sometimes she looked how I've looked at 6am after a dam good night on the town. The part where most of the fun is over and we're waiting for a lift home. Not quite 'awful', shattered I'd say, but with cuteness still in tact.
       They have changed the birthing process. T was up and about when she was able, her mum and boyfriend in the room (both doing a grand job of supporting her.)
      Those of us in this room were right with her has she ached and groaned her way through the pain: Aunties using it as a tool to propel themselves into monologues about their own birthing experiences.
At one point in the video Teesh let out a blood curdling scream. It was harrowing, harrowing. I'm surprised I didn't hear it from the hospital when it was actually taking place. It was one of those long, deep ones and it sizzled up the whole of my body. Tears came down my face. My stomach lurched, and if I'd been on my own I would of done a good old warble for at least five minutes. As it was, I wiped away the tears as lovely little Teesh hugged me up in surprise while I recomposed myself. But it was for her the tears, for me, for mothers, for young, strong girls having babies. I know I had my last baby fifteen years ago and my pain is a new pain now, but it was just so deep and maybe I'm feeling my feelings, now that I'm a new non-smoker.
     Teesh done marvellously though, absolutely marvellously. I have a new respect for her and for all mums, all over again. But I'm rather glad I don't want anymore children, I have to say.  
      "I'll never hit my daughter", she said."Instead I''ll give her  a look and threaten her with the video!".
 I know once her daughter does see that video she will be perfectly well behaved!!
(written with new mummy's permission. Well done Teesh xx)

2 comments:

  1. Very good muma but my belly done a back flip while I was reading it. A blood curdling scream.... That bit was 2 much for me :(
    Keep up muma
    Luv ya x

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)
    Thank you anonymous and anonymous. Am still thinking about soldier girl up till now! She's a true darling.
    Day 5 of no tobacco!! Am getting there. Am hoping the dulcet tones will remain, but I prefer clean lungs haha! Lotsaluv. I always appreciate feedback so thank you (whoever u are!)

    ReplyDelete