Sunday 10 March 2013

Confusion is in my Brain, Confusion: It’s got to be a Love game.


During the book launch two weeks ago, I spoke about how one of the reasons the book is important is because it helps parents build up confidence and self worth in their children. And I stick by that wholeheartedly.
It’s hard enough being a teenager, but when you throw low self esteem and love into the mix, it just complicates matters.
Here are  two characters- one Adult and one Teenager. They are having a conversation at a bus stop.

-He doesn’t know what love is, but I can show him. I need him and want him so badly.
             
But what about your Higher Self? What does She want?

-I dunno, I dunno. I just need him.

If you loved yourself and were sorted do you think you would want him?

-No.

Well why do want him now?

-Well am not sorted am I?
But you are going to be.

-I know, I know. But we are already planning what we will call the baby and what school he will go to and all that.     But I don’t want to be a single parent.

You are going to be, I don't want you to be fooling yourself about that.

-He said he would be back at 4. It’s 9 now.

Imagine when you are waiting for him to bring you milk and nappies and the baby is just six weeks old.

-He won’t bring them will he?

What do you think honey?

-I dunno, I dunno. I wish I never got pregnant.

The thing is, you young ones were raised with the notion of safe sex, but you don’t take notice- actually some of you do- but you didn’t did you honey?

-The baby might not be his anyway.

Uh? Why d'you say that?     

-I slept with someone else.

When was this?        

-About two weeks ago.

But you were already pregnant so you know it’s not his.                                              

-Yea, I know.

Why did you do that?                                                                                                                    

-You know when you are just want him there. He never came back.

Oh my goodness D.                                                                                                                                                    

-Yea, I know.

Who was the guy?                                                                                                                      

-Oh just a friend.

Who was that tall guy shouting up at your window?                                                                      

-Who, that tall mixed race one?

Yea                                                                                                                                          

-He’s good looking isn’t he?

Yes, he was handsome. Who is he?                                                                                            

-He’s just a friend.

Was it with him?                                                                                  

-Yea,

Oh dear...                                                                          

-How old do you think he is?

I have no idea                                                                                                                                        

-35.

Oh my God. You’re 17 D. No, I have no respect for men like that. He shouldn’t have done anything with you.

-He has a girlfriend and everything. I told him it was just a one off.

Has your boyfriend seen him?

-Yea. He doesn’t like him. Lol!!

Well D. Just go into this with your eyes wide open. Make an informed choice, that’s important don’t you think?

-Yea, I guess...

You will get there. Either way I will support you in any way that I can OK. But try to be wise. You're a lovely girl, you have so much potential,  even if you don't know it.

Where’s your boyfriend now?                                                                                                                        

-With her I think.

Oh D. L

3 comments:

  1. It's saddening to know that similar scenarios are being played out at this precise moment.
    Still all is not lost & hope remains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, we need to ensure that we nurture our children from a young age and not just raise them. That way they will have a sense of self-worth, respect and confident for themselves. Understand how to love themselves first before. As you can't love someone else if you don't have love for yourself first. She needs to understand that so she doesn't end up repeating the cycle with her own unborn child. Babies can pick up on negative messages even within the womb!! Help her please x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember having these sorts of conversations w girls when I worked as a speech and language therapist in a secondary school years ago. Many of them thought they "owed" boys something if said boys bought them a Coke...gave them a cigarette...all sorts of mundane things. I used to tell them that the person they owed something to was the girl sitting and talking to me. None of the girls I talked to could conceive of life worth living without a boyfriend, and it was hard to hear/watch.

    ReplyDelete