Tuesday 19 May 2009

"Fourteen years", he said.

I hated seeing him so broken. That was not how it was meant to be. He still stood firm tho. Arms wrapped across brown leather jacket, legs wide in faded Amarni jeans. Long white converse underneath. His hair was thinner now. Worry around his eyes that hadn't been visible before.

It's not that I want there to be a me and him. Of course I've thought about it, especially since his break up, but I can hold it down, trus' me. I had gotten used to loving him regardless of who either of us were with. One of those unconditional ones. Plus I'd want a soft, voluptuous, fine body to give to him. Not the one I've got. So hey.

At one point he walked the length of the room, his eyes almost closed with the weight of his frown. I'd never seen him that annoyed before. Very sexy, but it still hurt.

Every- well not every- but a few times- I'd bump into him when I turned around. When I decided I wanted another drink and went to the kitchen there he was, stood with the one he was about to come and give me in his hand. "I'm sorry it's not in a glass", he said. "No", I replied. "It's perfect".

When I swayed and had to hold onto him accidentally, I felt his chest beneath his shirt. Very taut. I swooned just a little.

I loved catching up with him. We have so many years we can talk about. So much joke, so much madness, so much good times. In his company I felt I was in a place where quality existed and would urge time to stand still, or for no one to notice we were there so we could continue to talk until forever. But it never did and they always did.
But then he would remember and it would return. He would tilt one half of his body towards the heavens in confusion, incomprehension. I was surprised he was still so hurt. It's been about eight months I think.

"I didn't even wanna be here", he said. He looked around to the front door. My brother was waiting for me in the car.
"I'm the rebound guy. I didn't want any of this".
He hugged me and told me that he knows I have his best interest at heart. I have.
"Fourteen years", he said. His voice was barely audible. "Fourteen years".
"It's not designed to break you babes."
"I know", he replied.

1 comment:

  1. Nice conversational flow.. intriguing. Seems like a snapshot of a 'complicated' (unrequited) love story. thanks for sharing. E :)

    ReplyDelete