Thursday 19 January 2012

As one door closes, the fridge door opens

It really didn't dawn on me- the real reason my figure has remained as is for the last twenty years. I thought it was just my good fortune that while all about me were starting to look their age, I have stayed slim, quite slim and extremely slim!
A lady I used to teach some ten years ago was in my house the other day- after us bumping into each other after almost four years. "I've never forgotten you," she said. I smile. Nor I her. She was part of my best teaching group ever. After her class, teaching just went down hill for me. I have never forgotten any one of that class and am glad to say I am still in touch with a few of them.
        "I wondered what you look like now," she continued. "If you'd put on wieght."
        "Oh no," I say. "This is me." And I admire myself in a way I only do when my clothes are on.
But these last couple of days I've been eating like a maniac.
On Tuesday I bought chicken and chips from a shop in Harlesden and ate walking along the road!!
Yesterday, I had a nice dinner and at around 11pm plated up my son's food for the next day ready to put in the fridge, then filled my own 'tomorrow plate.' But instead of putting it in the fridge I started picking at it, and before I knew it I'd put it in the microwave and three minutes after that I was at the dining table eating a second dinner!! Plus I'd had three clubs (chocoate bars) a banana, an apple, juice, more juice, bread and houmous and probably more.
     The reason for the sveltness of my physique :-) I was discovering, was because I was a smoker. And after many a year, I had finally stopped smoking and was rediscovering the taste and smell and hunger for food. (Mother will be so pleased!)
     It was Amber Leaf Tobacco, not good fortune, or walking, or not eating red meat, that was the reason I was slim, why I could feel full up on half a plate of food or less.
     Now that I had stopped smoking it seemed I was catching up on twenty years worth of eating!! And even though it is getting ridiculous, the coming weeks and months will definatley will be interesting!
But mmm (slight frown) Was I now going to be fat, frumpy, mumsy Martha?
As the pounds pile on I will start to get used to it. And I have to say, i do look forward to a salatious, curvacious, woman not girl figure. I look forward to standing outside for air - not a cigarette break- without my students squeaking: "I didn't know you smoke Miss." 
       I won't be one of those really annoying ex and non smokers who tell you about the horrors of smoking (not yet anyway. Let me go more than a couple of weeks first!), but I do look forward to this rediscovery of food. And more glorious food.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Martha,
    Really enjoyed reading about your new found love of food! It was all so familiar,
    Paula:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like food again. And curves, because I think you were born to have them.

    ReplyDelete