Saturday 7 January 2012

The Lawrences

All I can do is send love and light to the family of Stephen Lawrence. I am  overwhelmed with compassion when I see them  speaking on TV.  Especially with  Mr  Lawrence. He is so softly spoken. He's so composed  and hurt and humble.

I received an email that said 96 boys have been murdered since Steven. I hope it isn't true. Then imagine another eighteen years of fighting for justice on top of that.  It's a long time. I have a child of  seventeen.  There's a generation of boys who have been raised with a backdrop of Steven Lawrence conversations. We would tell our sons, "be careful," while  warning that there'd be noone to pay if they weren't.

I wonder if the other parents are fighting. Or if they've  recieved their justice. Or if they will ever recieve justice.

On the same program  with  Neville Lawrence, they show a clip of  him  giving a speech in a secondary school.  "As I am  looking at you," he said, "I wish Steven was here as well.
He was round about your age.
He wanted to be an architect just like you."
Some of the audience  wipe the corners of their eyes, some of the boys bowd their heads.  I swallow a big soft bubble in my throat.
We  must do more than just  'feel sorry.' Each of us can use our individual gifts to expand the peace and  humanity in this world. Each of us can offer each other some love and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment